Explore The Program Offers:
The Earth Institute's Professional Development Program helps students prepare for sustainability-related careers. The program complements existing services such as resume and cover letter review that are provided by Columbia University's career service offices.
The Sustainability Skills Seminars offer students and alumni practical skills that are specific to sustainability and environmental careers. The half-day, non-credit seminars are free. Past seminar topics have included Life Cycle Analysis, Geographic Information Systems, and Green Building Design.
The Nuts and Bolts of a Sustainability Job Search
September 22, 2018, 10am-3pm
Instructor: Cathy Gibbons, Assistant Director, Alumni & Graduate Student Career Development, Columbia University
First impressions will make or break your chances of being considered for positions. Your marketing materials (resume, LinkedIn profile, pitch and cover letters) are the first professional connections that you make with an employer or others in your chosen profession. You want to ensure that you create a professional image for yourself. This workshop will cover how to create marketing materials that meet professional standards and help you to develop a compelling professional story of yourself. It will also look at the components of a larger career planning strategy and the importance of a self-assessment as a foundation for formulating the criteria that you will use to select your next employer and job. You should bring a copy of your resume and if available, a paper copy of your LinkedIn profile and pitch.
Successful Career Transition: The Essentials
November 10, 2018, 10am-2pm
Instructor: Ellis Chase, Career Management Consultant; Author: In Search of the Fun Forever Job and Career Strategies That Work
This workshop will introduce you to the most important tools required to achieve an optimal career transition. Highlights will include:
- The Big Picture: A Comprehensive Proactive Career Transition Process
- Strategic career management
- Marketing yourself – resume, LinkedIn, pitch
- Relationship-building (networking)
- Interviewing basics
- Emotions, time management, discipline and consistency
- Social Intelligence: Communicating with Impact
- Why so important? Key success characteristics.
- First impressions
- Social media
- Email – the great differentiator
- Legal issues
Myths and Legends of Career Transition – what’s true and what isn’t
LEED Green Associate Exam Training
December 7, 2018 4:00-8:00pm & December 8, 2018 10:00am-2:00pm (must attend both days)
Instructor: Erika Duran, Associate, WSP Global Inc
This seminar will introduce students to green building design and help prepare them for the LEED Green Associate exam. According to the U.S. Green Building Council, a LEED Green Associate credential demonstrates a strong understanding of current green building principles and practices.
Past Earth Institute Sustainability Skill Building Seminars:
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Product Lifecycle Assessment and Carbon Footprinting
- Green Building Design and LEED training
- Consulting 101: How Consultants Win Work
- Networking and Interviewing Skills Seminar
- Sustainable Smart Technology and Controls Seminar
- Climate Adaptation Planning Seminar
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Seminar
- Sustainability Metrics
- Greenhouse Gas Protocol's Corporate GHG Accounting and Reporting Standard
- Public Speaking — Communication Strategy and Delivery
For more information, please email us.